Thursday, December 11, 2008

Rude Awakenings


"Horses are out"!!! Nobody likes to hear that but especially at 5:30 in the morning in minus 20 degree weather in the dark! But that is how I got woken up this morning....Instantly I'm stepping into my jeans while yelling out to my husband to start looking and catch the two horses that he can see. I throw on my jacket, boots, mittens, scarf & toque and head to the shed to get a bucket of pellets. Rick is coming around the corner with Kid our stallion.....he had been caught up in his fence and Rick had to cut the wire to get him free.....I told him to put Kid into one of the yard pens while we catch the two mares that are the lowest on the pecking order....Dove & Destiny. In the mean time the two mares are on their way out of the yard so I shake the bucket and call and the whole herd shows up....they had been on the other side of the trees. I open the gate and some of them follow me into the paddock so we close them in and go to get the rest. Nicker came next after he went to torment Kid. Then we caught and led Raven, Rose & Dove over. Now that the crisis is over we take a look at Kid to make sure that he is OK.....hard to tell in the dark but it looks like his wounds are superficial......Rick said that it looks like he had tried to jump the fence and the wire was under his belly and he was standing perfectly still as if waiting for someone to come and save him. Rick said that he tried just taking out the staples to loosen the wire so that he could push it down but it was too tight so he ended up cutting it.....during this whole process Kid stood like a statue. Once the wire was down, Kid waited for Rick to give him the signal and then he moved....truly amazing.

So what happened......well......my theory is that the gate was left unlatched and that would mean that Rick forgot to close it tight last night when he did chores........but he thinks that the horses pushed on the latched gate and bent the hook and escaped.....the first light will tell the tale! ;)

I guess that I will be fencing later on today after taking Kid to his dentist appointment!!!!

Sevi and I had fun with the horses this afternoon playing dress up......Lt'l Sister was such a great sport as we attached all kinds of stuff to her......don't you think that she is adorable! Sevi wanted to stuff her ears into the hat but she was much happier with them free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home